Selected for IW Officer in the Reserves

Selected for IW Officer in the Reserves

Postby Messiah62 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:21 am

I just got selected to be an IW officer in the Reserves. I will be transferring from the Air National Guard (Cyber Sys Ops 3D052 E-5). I live in Omaha and work at USSTRATCOM which will provide me a lot of options for training etc...

I am looking for some good information on DCOIC, IWBC, and the kind of opportunities there are to travel for reservists. Any information would be great.

-K

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:09 am

Messiah62, please feel free to PM me...might be easier to chat voice.

Visit Information Warfare Community Self Synchronization on Facebook, Twitter, and at IWCsync.org!
das
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:42 pm

I will have to buy all of my uniforms, correct? There is no initial issue. If so what uniforms will i need to buy?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:52 pm

Correct. And you get a uniform allowance/reimbursement, but it's only $400.

I would recommend:

2 sets of khakis
Navy Working Uniform
Service Dress Blues
Summer Whites
Dress Whites ("choker whites")

Now, you don't need all of these at once and may be able to get away with splitting up the purchases depending on what season you go to DCOIC. Expect to have a good $2000 invested in uniforms...

Visit Information Warfare Community Self Synchronization on Facebook, Twitter, and at IWCsync.org!
das
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:02 am

Great I will look into getting those. Is that $400 just a one time payment or is it yearly like active duty folk? This is kinda new to me since I was in the Air Guard where all uniforms were issued to us.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:14 am

It's just one time. Navy Enlisted get their uniforms, Officers have to pay for them.

das
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am

Das,
What kind of things have you done for your AT days? I live in Nebraska, so most of my AT days will be spent at my local unit with STRATCOM. If I try to go to a ship or something for my AT days, do I pay for the travel or does the Navy pay for that?

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby das » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:51 am

Actually, most of your AT days as an IW JO "should" be spent at the "Big Four" NIOC to which your unit is attached. You "should" be assigned to an NR NIOC, unless you have heard differently -- where are you expecting to drill?

Your first year's AT will be spent at DCOIC at NS Newport, RI.

Your second year's AT (+ADT) will be spent at IWBC at CID Corry Station, FL.

Your third year's AT is the first that won't be "spoken for", but will probably be committed to some part of your IWO/IDWO qualification process.

I am aware of RC IWOs who have done ATs/ADTs on ships and subs, but it is rare...almost always ATs for folks up through mid-level O-3 are at their gaining AC NIOC (colocated with an NSA/CSS cryptologic center).

das
Experienced Member

Postby Messiah62 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 am

I will be assigned to a unit at STRATCOM. STRATCOM has several tenants inside to include the NSA, DIA, etc... I hope that I will get the opportunity to go on a ship at some point in my career, but I know that may not happen till after I am fully qualified.

That is where I work fulltime as a contractor as well.

Messiah62
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Apr 04, 2013 1:27 am

I had a reserve officer come onboard a carrier with us this year and help with a composite unit certification we were doing for a carrier strike group. He seemed to get a lot out of it and we can always use the help. Our command uses quite a few reservists and we have two reserve units attached to us so they were willing to do a little extra leg work to provide an opportunity.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Next

Return to Naval Reserve IW