Reclassified from ET to CTM

Reclassified from ET to CTM

Postby vidaltaylor » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:28 pm

I was looking for a place like this to get more information on my newly selected rate, I'm still over in Great Lakes Naval Station, Training Support Center is my command at the moment and I'm only in 8 months on my first enlistment.

I am currently scheduled to transfer down to Pensacola, FL to Corey Station on 26SEPT11, to report to A school.

There's is a handful of other ETs that have volunteered to be converted out of ET pipeline up here in Great Lakes after having our LCPO from the CSCS school up here come into each classroom of ET's that are either still in ATT or ET 'A' to tell us that we're severely overmanned currently and gave us an option to reclassify now or possibly be volun-told later down the line if he couldn't get a total of 121 students. He claims this is the first time he's ever seen something like this in his 21 years.

I jumped at the offer seeing that CTT, CTR, CTM, and CTI were all available as reclassification options (with the other options being; ABE, ABF, AO, GM, HM, CS, CSS, YN, SECF, PREBUDS). I've been attempting to research as much as possible on what to expect but there's extremely limited information other than just a basic description of the rate on the rating information page on NKO.

I look forward to this community here seeing that it obviously has a great deal of contributors that I can hopefully get some serious insight from.

Thanks in advance,
SA Vidal
  • 0

vidaltaylor
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:58 pm
Reputation: 0

Postby webmaster » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:28 pm

At one point CTM was going to go away but it didn't thankfully. I think any of the CT rates would be good to go into but CTM probably the closest to what you've been doing. CTT would give you a technical side and operational experience as well. Seems the Navy can't make enough. Best advice I can offer is to talk to people in each rate and combine that with the research you've already done.
  • 0

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
User avatar
webmaster
Administrator
 
Posts: 641
Joined: Mon May 12, 2008 2:17 am
Location: God's Country
Reputation: 51

Postby yoshi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:58 am

To echo the webmaster, CTM is very similar to ET. Most of the spot checks I do with ETs can be done by CTMs, as annotated on the MRC. Personally, I believe the main difference is that CTMs benefit a bit more from being taught about computer systems, particularly now that we have some newer gear. Most good CTMs can do the job of an IC or ET, and also a bit of IT work.
  • 0

yoshi
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 427
Joined: Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:10 am
Reputation: 19

Postby vidaltaylor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:06 pm

webmaster wrote:At one point CTM was going to go away but it didn't thankfully. I think any of the CT rates would be good to go into but CTM probably the closest to what you've been doing. CTT would give you a technical side and operational experience as well. Seems the Navy can't make enough. Best advice I can offer is to talk to people in each rate and combine that with the research you've already done.


Yeah I've heard that the navy has just done away with it in the reserves, I originally wanted either CTN followed by CTT neither were available by the time I went to reclassification. I was hoping to be able to do some sort of operational exercises but oh well. I'm happy for the fact that I was able to go into the CT rate none the less. I haven't done anything really yet, just completed apprenticeship technical training here in Great Lakes, never even started ET 'A' school so I really have no idea what to expect let alone have any idea of the types of systems I'll be working on.

yoshi wrote:To echo the webmaster, CTM is very similar to ET. Most of the spot checks I do with ETs can be done by CTMs, as annotated on the MRC. Personally, I believe the main difference is that CTMs benefit a bit more from being taught about computer systems, particularly now that we have some newer gear. Most good CTMs can do the job of an IC or ET, and also a bit of IT work.


Any better idea of the types of systems I'd be working on/with? Prior to coming in I was a independent network security contractor, I've heard this more CTN than M, have you heard of anyway of a CTM doing a CTM NEC aswell as a CTN NEC? Just looking to expand my field of knowledge as much as possible.
  • 0

vidaltaylor
Registered Member
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:58 pm
Reputation: 0

Postby jitter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:09 am

vidaltaylor wrote:Any better idea of the types of systems I'd be working on/with? Prior to coming in I was a independent network security contractor, I've heard this more CTN than M, have you heard of anyway of a CTM doing a CTM NEC aswell as a CTN NEC? Just looking to expand my field of knowledge as much as possible.


The types of systems that CTMs work on all have several items in common: antenns, cableing, recievers, processing and transmission (comms). As a prior CTM with 22 years in I would have to say that I would rather select the CTN rate or CTR rate over the CTM rate due to what jobs are out there today.

Your prior job experience also aligns well with IT as well as CTN.
  • 0

User avatar
jitter
Experienced Member
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:25 pm
Location: WV
Reputation: 3

Postby IS Community Manager » Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:13 pm

vidaltaylor wrote:I was looking for a place like this to get more information on my newly selected rate, I'm still over in Great Lakes Naval Station, Training Support Center is my command at the moment and I'm only in 8 months on my first enlistment.

I am currently scheduled to transfer down to Pensacola, FL to Corey Station on 26SEPT11, to report to A school.

There's is a handful of other ETs that have volunteered to be converted out of ET pipeline up here in Great Lakes after having our LCPO from the CSCS school up here come into each classroom of ET's that are either still in ATT or ET 'A' to tell us that we're severely overmanned currently and gave us an option to reclassify now or possibly be volun-told later down the line if he couldn't get a total of 121 students. He claims this is the first time he's ever seen something like this in his 21 years.

I jumped at the offer seeing that CTT, CTR, CTM, and CTI were all available as reclassification options (with the other options being; ABE, ABF, AO, GM, HM, CS, CSS, YN, SECF, PREBUDS). I've been attempting to research as much as possible on what to expect but there's extremely limited information other than just a basic description of the rate on the rating information page on NKO.

I look forward to this community here seeing that it obviously has a great deal of contributors that I can hopefully get some serious insight from.

Thanks in advance,
SA Vidal


Please feel free to give me a call: 901-874-3492
  • 0

IS Community Manager
Registered Member
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:59 pm
Location: Arlington, TN
Reputation: 0


Return to CT Ratings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron