CTI, how to become one?

CTI, how to become one?

Postby T-Hawker92 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:11 am

Hello all,

I am currently active duty. Been serving for 4 years now. I am a FC Tomahawk Tech and have been attemping to cross rate into the CTI rating for years now. Initially CTI was the reason why I showed interest in the Navy.

The problem I am running into right now is that my current rate is on the fence between manned and undermanned. In my year group specifically I am overmanned. The NEC I hold is not currently classified as a critical NEC. I did not receive an Enlistment Bonus so that isn't holding me up either. CTI and FC are both ratings that sailors seem to be locked in at the moment. I have spoke to my NCC, my CMDCM, my divisional chief, the ISC on board. I have been trying to crossrate into CTI for 2 years now, soon to be 3 years.

In the Navy I have seen a lot of people work around what seem to be show stoppers like the perdicament I am in now. I am not asking for someone to pull strings for a random FC on a forum. I am simply asking for advice from those who work in the community currently. Do you know of anyone who has been in this situation before and prevailed? If so what did he/she do? What do you suggest my next move be? At the moment I am currently just sitting like a duck. I've sent off conversion packages and they don't make it any farther than my ECM who responds "Convert out opportunities are not available at this time." Since my individual year group is overmanned through the roof I figured there has to be a way to make an exception no? Due to my current job requirements I already hold the required clearance for CTI, I also hold a DLAB score of 121, not excellent but it is decent in my opinion.

I appreciate your time, any advance would be greatly appreciated.

- FC2

T-Hawker92
Registered Member

Re: CTI, how to become one?

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:25 am

FC2 -

Sounds like you are doing all the right things. Unfortunately, the manning situation in your current rating may ultimately prevent this from happening. I wish I had an answer for you on how to prevail but I simply do not. All I can say is keep pushing in pursuit of your goal. At the same time, make sure you are doing everything necessary to succeed as an FC as well, lest the transfer never happens.

Good luck. CTI is a fantastic rating and I truly hope you succeed.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby bubblehead » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:32 pm

T-Hawker92 wrote:I've sent off conversion packages and they don't make it any farther than my ECM who responds "Convert out opportunities are not available at this time."

This always irritates me. Have you asked the ECM for documentation on the non-availability or is he/she just stating something on the phone without backing it up with documentation? Are your packages receiving an official response?

Your other option is to leave Active Duty and affiliate with the Reserves as a CTI and then try to work your way back on to active duty. You can always speak to a Reserve recruiter to find out more and to educate yourself.

Keep pushing this and always ask for documentation for whatever you are being told.

bubblehead
Experienced Member

Postby T-Hawker92 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Thank you for the responses.

I am stationed overseas at the moment so calling my ECM has always been sort of a pain in the rear. Shot him an e-mail in which the response was "Conversion out opportunities are not being given to FCs at this time." I submitted anyways and 2 months later got the formal response back through msg traffic with reason being manning levels.

I have not thought about the reserves as a CTI. Great feedback thank you again.

- FC2

T-Hawker92
Registered Member

Postby Mjölnir » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 pm

I knew a CTI when I was in GA, who wanted to go SPECWAR with a passion, but could not get released by the CTI detailer. The Sailor served to the end of his contract (hard charging the whole way). After his EAS, he went to a prior service recruiter and came back on active duty with a contract to attend BUDS.

Mjölnir
Experienced Member

Postby T-Hawker92 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:59 am

I thought about that as well and contacted the recruiting station I was recruited out of. They explained to me that the Navy is not recruiting any prior service at this moment. That was about a year ago.

T-Hawker92
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:28 am

Prior service folks are having a REALLY hard time getting back into service. A very close friend of mine from my enlisted days got out about 6 years ago, but now she's trying to get back in (as a CTI, actually). She's very motivated, willing to do whatever she needs to do, has a masters degree, etc, etc, but is being told by EVERYONE that the reserves is her only option. It's a tough fiscal environment we're living in, and the Navy is finally seeing some of the drawdown action that our Air Force, Army, and Marine Corps brethren have been facing for quite some time.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:21 am

Sum1 wrote: the Navy is finally seeing some of the drawdown action that our Air Force, Army, and Marine Corps brethren have been facing for quite some time.

I'm not sure what you mean by finally. Has ERB and PTS already faded from memory? I'd say Air Force and Army are just now catching up to the drawdown the Navy experienced over the past five years.

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Return to CT Ratings