IWO Creed Discussion

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

Postby 1610MATROS » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:36 pm

OmegaMan wrote:Then CNSG was disestablished, NIOCs created without mission or focus, and we have been uncertain ever since.

I must challenge this statement. Every NIOC has an established mission, tasks and functions instruction which governs its existence. You may not like or agree with that instruction but it is there to establish what each NIOC is responsible for. Most also have established Station USSIDs. Time to quit naysaying and get on with accomplishing the mission - which is varied. There are established processes for changing Station USSID and MFT. Learn them and be part of the process of changing them to what they need to be.

1610MATROS
Experienced Member

Postby jitter » Tue Sep 18, 2012 2:06 pm

No one ever said that a creed would be a substitute for leadership. Why do we keep going there? There is a reason that every Command has a Vision and Mission statement. It helps focus the efforts of the unit. Same could be said for the IWO creed, it would help identify who we are, where we came from, and where we are going in the future. We all need think back to what we knew many years ago when we first put on our butter bars. Did you understand your community? Did you know its history? Did you know its current focus? Did you know its future goals? If you did good for you but most of us would have to say no to most of these questions. Instead of beating up on this guy for trying to improve things, lets provide that mentorship and guidance that would make this creed something that is worth the paper it printed on.

jitter
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Wed Sep 19, 2012 4:13 am

Sleeper wrote:I recall that NIOC Hawaii paid a bunch of money to a high-profile contractor to develop a mission statement. I don't think it helped much, if any. Such words are a poor substitute for actual leadership.

They should have just tasked a JO! I mean, they had me writing the CO's command coin policy a week after I reported!

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby CNO Guy » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:19 pm

The idea of a creed for the community isn't necessarily a bad one, but to be honest I don't know what the current Community Leader would think of such an idea. To that end if you really want to pursue this idea further please send me a PM so we can discuss over the phone and perhaps refine your message with the target being a point paper to VADM Rogers explaining the why you personally believe in the idea with your draft as an attachment. Happy to personally facilitate delivery if you desire, but we can discuss more via phone.

Kudos for putting yourself out there and attempting to address something you deem as a gap.

CNO Guy
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare