Contacting Detailers

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

Postby IW OCM » Thu Jun 12, 2008 4:00 am

phrogpilot73 wrote:As a "Navy Wife" this is my biggest frustration. It seems that there is no clear delineation of what is a career wicket, whereas the URL community it's pretty clear...

Patience please, but the milestone process will clearly articulate the experiences we value and the criteria for selection. We're analyzing all branches and sequels to ensure no one is disadvantaged during implementation. Until then, those desiring a long, successful career should focus on the same thing the URLs do...Operational, Leadership, Joint

Additionally, here is the pecking order come board time based on what I have seen (though some Tier 4s sneak into the crunch at times):

Tier 1 - Top performers in jobs we value
Tier 2 - Top performers in "other" jobs
--------------------------------------------Crunch line
Tier 3 - Average performers in jobs we value
--------------------------------------------Non-select line
Tier 4 - Average performers in "other" jobs
Tier 5 - All others

IW OCM
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:03 am

It seems like it takes our community a long time to make changes. I understand the desire to get it right the first time but still...

webmaster
Administrator

Postby Sum1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:11 am

The flexibility in the detailing process and our ability to detail ourselves and still get the experience to be competitive come promotion time is one of the biggest advantages to being an IW officer, in my opinion. I'm not sure I really want very clear and "required" wickets.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:24 am

Sum1 wrote:The flexibility in the detailing process and our ability to detail ourselves and still get the experience to be competitive come promotion time is one of the biggest advantages to being an IW officer, in my opinion. I'm not sure I really want very clear and "required" wickets.

I think those experiences need to be better defined. What do you mean by detailing ourselves?

webmaster
Administrator

Postby mrsaturn » Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:46 am

webmaster wrote:I think those experiences need to be better defined.

It depends on how it is implemented. I think our field's strength is its ability to broaden itself and try new things, see if they are valuable or not and take or leave them. If the wickets are too strictly defined we would lose that ability to broaden.

mrsaturn
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:09 am

webmaster wrote:I think those experiences need to be better defined. What do you mean by detailing ourselves?

I had a department head sit me down before I went to OCS to explain to me the difference between specializing and remaining a general IW officer and some of the advantages and disadvantages of doing each. He threw the term "self-detailing" around quite a bit as a way to describe how much flexibility there is in the detailing process if you decide to take promotion into your own hands and specialize as an officer. I heard it again from another LCDR I spoke with while I was actually in Newport.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:45 pm

Sum1 wrote: He threw the term "self-detailing" around quite a bit as a way to describe how much flexibility there is in the detailing process if you decide to take promotion into your own hands and specialize as an officer.

I think you made the key connection there. Sure there will always be room for those who do specialize but the same can be said for those who are generalists within our field. It's not so much "self detailing" as realizing you might not hit the traditional wickets and as such not promote.

webmaster
Administrator

Postby ZBM2 » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:11 pm

I'll chime in on this one, if I may...there are MANY resources out there for a JO seeking guidance. XO's, DH's, and even your CPO mess can provide tons of information, mentorship and tips with regard to the detailing process/career management. And as a prior enlisted OCS grad, don't forget to touch bases with the Mustang community, they will likely have a slightly different point of view as well.

My general rule of thumb is to discuss your ideas, concerns and desires within your chain of command, then pick up the phone and discuss with your detailer. They are there not only to write orders, but to provide guidance as well. A rather "seasoned" MCPO once told me to plan your next two tours, but be ready to adjust as things change...still good advice.

ZBM2
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare