SWO-IWC age restrictions

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

SWO-IWC age restrictions

Postby RusskiLinguist » Thu Dec 13, 2018 1:08 am

Hello Information Warriors! I have done a search on this topic but its a pretty niche question. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I'm 37 years old with 5 years active duty in the marines from 2002 to 2007. I wanted to go direct accession to SWO but it looks like I am too old for that option. I found this on the SWO OCM site:

"The age limit for SWO with an Information Warfare Community (INTEL, CW, IP, OCEANO) option is 35, no waiver required. You cannot decline the option at any time if accepted for this program. Contact the IWC Deputy Community Manager for further information at 901-874-3391 or DSN 882-3391."

So it says no waiver required for that limit. But can an applicant be age-waivered into the swo-iwc option if over 35?

According to MILPERSMAN 1212-050

"3. Qualifications. A limited number of individuals from the
above commissioning sources may apply for the IWC Option
Program. Candidates selected for this program must meet the
eligibility standards outlined below:
c. Age: Must meet age limitations specified for
commissioning via the accession sources listed in paragraph 2 of
this article;"

WITH PARAGRAPH 2 READING:

2. Applicability of this Article. This article is applicable
to active duty officers who have been selected for and
commissioned into the IWC Option Program from the following
commissioning sources:

a. United States Naval Academy (USNA);
b. Naval Reserve Officers Training Corps;
c. Officer Candidate School (OCS); or
d. Seaman-to-Admiral Program (STA-21).

My source would be OCS the limit of which is 42 for officers. Thank you! all help and feedback is appreciated.

RusskiLinguist
Registered Member

Re: SWO-IWC age restrictions

Postby yoshi » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:15 am

Always best to "Contact the IWC Deputy Community Manager for further information at 901-874-3391 or DSN 882-3391." He will have the most recent and accurate information you seek, and/or be able to point you in the right direction. Just give them a ring.

Best of luck!

yoshi
Experienced Member

Re: SWO-IWC age restrictions

Postby RusskiLinguist » Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:28 am

yoshi wrote:Always best to "Contact the IWC Deputy Community Manager for further information at 901-874-3391 or DSN 882-3391." He will have the most recent and accurate information you seek, and/or be able to point you in the right direction. Just give them a ring.

Best of luck!

Thank you Yoshi. I just want to make sure that phone number is okay to call for civilians such as myself. The feeling I get from that messages and that site is that it is information for currently serving navy personnel.

RusskiLinguist
Registered Member

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare