The M4/M16 of Cyber?

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

The M4/M16 of Cyber?

Postby ussintensity » Thu Jan 28, 2016 2:11 am

Attending IDBC (still working on a name change) right now. Discussions have been had about cyber and the ever expanding role it will play, especially in my year-groups path. Coming from no cyber background at all, and hoping to learn a bit about it as a weapon. What would you all consider the cyber equivalent of a Marine's M4/M16? The basic attack styles every IW officer should know to at least be functional on a cyber battlefield? Can I even frame the argument this way?
V/r,
USSINTENSITY

ussintensity
Registered Member

Re: The M4/M16 of Cyber?

Postby p3nfo » Thu Jan 28, 2016 7:19 am

I am looking to lat transfer to IWO so I can't speak as to what they look at, but I have read @War and Cyber War. What I have gleaned is that there is no single weapon in the cyber battlefield. Any computer anywhere in the world can equally cause the same devastating effect.

The key is a what are known as zero day bugs. Holes that no one knows about until they are utilized, these can be software or hardware related. Mostly what is being done in the cyber world sounds like it is cyber espionage and/or prepping of the battlefield(i.e. placing back doors and future access points.) This has been observed from China on a pretty regular basis.

There are also other things such as denial of service attacks which basically over utilize a point in a network essential cutting off that network from the rest of the world. And lastly I would say social engineering is something that is probably used in cyber. Basically you get to know your enemy and then use things like email that look like they are from someone in an office that is loaded with a virus. The depth and detail to which some emails go can make it difficult for even trained individuals to recognize.

Kind of a quick summary of what I have read up on. I am sure the rabbit hole is insanely deep and very scary for those heavley involved. Someone posted a link to this page awhile back on here but they have some different courses on cyber stuff that might get you going in the right direction. It is called cybrary. https://www.cybrary.it/cyber-security/

p3nfo
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:29 pm

I don't think a comparison is that simple. Cyber is a complex domain and there are lots of tools in the toolkit, depending on the target set. Some tools are even designed for a simple application.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sleeper » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:46 pm

POP POP RET
:D

Sleeper
Experienced Member

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare