IW Selection and CWE Questions

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

IW Selection and CWE Questions

Postby sidechannel » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:55 pm

Hi all,

Several questions about IWO and CWE --

So firstly, I am a soon to be college graduate and have submitted my application for IWO. I was wondering where I could find information on when the next selection board will be taking place that will be reviewing my application?

Next, if I were to be selected as an IWO (just IW, not SWO-IW), would I be attending OCS or ODS? I know CWE would require ODS, and my recruiter told me that IWO would be ODS as well (with OCS being for the SWO-IW option), however, everything I can find online seems to indicate OCS either way.

And finally, does anyone here have any insight on how the "IW experience" may differ if I were to do CWE (5 year max allowed) first and later transfer to IWO?

Thanks!

sidechannel
Registered Member

Re: IW Selection and CWE Questions

Postby COMEVIL » Fri Nov 07, 2014 12:45 pm

sidechannel wrote:Hi all,

So firstly, I am a soon to be college graduate and have submitted my application for IWO. I was wondering where I could find information on when the next selection board will be taking place that will be reviewing my application?

Next, if I were to be selected as an IWO (just IW, not SWO-IW), would I be attending OCS or ODS? I know CWE would require ODS, and my recruiter told me that IWO would be ODS as well (with OCS being for the SWO-IW option), however, everything I can find online seems to indicate OCS either way.

And finally, does anyone here have any insight on how the "IW experience" may differ if I were to do CWE (5 year max allowed) first and later transfer to IWO?

Thanks!

Sidechannel,

Not sure of the schedule, but they run those boards several times a year. Contact the IW OCM for more information. If you don't have his contact information, I can send it to you in a PM.

For IW, you should be going to OCS. I believe reserve IW's are the only IWs that don't go to OCS.

As far as CWE goes, it might be too soon to tell. That program may not even be 5 years old -- I've have to do some digging to confirm -- so there isn't much experience related to CWE --> IW.

v/r

Comevil

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby OWIStop » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:26 pm

Thanks!

I'm not a CWE, but work with several.

Regarding your question about the "IW experience". As a CWE, you'll be working with/for IWOs, so you will learn something about the "IW experience" just by talking and working with them. You'll also have the opportunity (at least where i'm at), to qualify Information Dominance Corps and IWO if you so choose to do so. Obviously, being a CWE first and then crossing over to IWO would set you behind your IWO peers in some capacity, but not too much since you've been around IWs your entire CWE experience. The IWO community is full of lateral transfers who have done well (i'm a lateral transfer myself), so you'll just have to work a little harder when you crossover (i'm thinking operational tour, spending more time to learn about our tradecraft, etc).

If you have a CS/programming background, then CWE is also an option to you. During your time as a CWE, you'll learn sooner or later if lateral transfer is right for you and your family. So assuming you're going to lateral transfer at this stage is really early to say (unless you're a prior and need the TIS to hit 20).

OWIStop
Registered Member

Postby breimer273 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:46 pm

Thanks!

Not sure if you had any questions about CWE or if you still had some. I am a CWE, been at it for three years. You can PM me if you have any questions.

The previous advice about IWO == OCS and CWE == ODS is correct.

breimer273
Registered Member

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare