OPSEC Officer Billets

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

OPSEC Officer Billets

Postby Sum1 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:27 am

Does anyone have any recent experience with billets that are now outside the normal IW swim lanes with the shift away from the pillars of IO? I'm specifically talking about OPSEC-related billets. Short version of the story is I picked up an OPSEC billet as a regular IWO that normally is a LDO LT job at a COCOM. I'm stoked for the location, but have absolutely no idea what I'm going to be doing. I'm the OPSEC manager onboard the ship right now as a collateral duty, but I imagine the job will have vastly different requirements at the COCOM level.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Re: OPSEC Officer Billets

Postby webmaster » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:07 pm

Sum1 wrote:Does anyone have any recent experience with billets that are now outside the normal IW swim lanes with the shift away from the pillars of IO? I'm specifically talking about OPSEC-related billets. Short version of the story is I picked up an OPSEC billet as a regular IWO that normally is a LDO LT job at a COCOM. I'm stoked for the location, but have absolutely no idea what I'm going to be doing. I'm the OPSEC manager onboard the ship right now as a collateral duty, but I imagine the job will have vastly different requirements at the COCOM level.

I think the program will be the same but the planning requirements will be different. We teach the planner course and get those guys through our course. I think you'll have the additional headache of enforcing and auditing subordinate command programs. We just had an OPSEC planner from SOUTHCOM come through our MILDEC course because he picked up MILDEC planner as an additional duty.

webmaster
Administrator

Postby Sum1 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:13 am

Nice, I figured as much regarding the auditing of subordinate commands. I'm wondering how a billet like this may affect me later on come selection for O-4 time (Sub DSO to PCS Afloat to OPSEC guy at a COCOM). The location is so killer, though, that at the end of the day whatever happens, happens.

It will be highly ironic, though, that I'll be pinging commands to do something that so far I've managed to avoid doing.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby telowery » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:10 pm

Have you talked to the person currently filling the position? They can probably give you more insight into the job, if you're coming to Germany send me a PM and I can give you the current guy's contact info. BTW OPSEC is his secondary job, I don't think he does much with OPSEC actually, but I'll defer to him.

telowery
Registered Member

Postby telowery » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:09 pm

Sum1 I sent you a PM.

telowery
Registered Member

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare