NFO to IW

There is no such question as a stupid question here. I call this forum "stupid questions" because then you can ask whatever you want and if someone says "That is a stupid question" then you know you put it in the right place.

NFO to IW

Postby FallenAngel » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:39 pm

Edit

Last edited by FallenAngel on Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
FallenAngel
Registered Member

Re: NFO to IW

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:28 am

FallenAngel wrote:I have heard that OCS guys, when DORing from flight school simply get the boot from the Navy (unlike Academy and ROTC guys who have an obligation). Furthermore, in all reality, if I do DOR from flight school and ask for a re-desination, what is the probability of me actually getting IW?

My advice, push through flight school so you avoid getting axed, as mention above. Then, if NFO duty truly isn't for you submit a redesignation package to IW.

If you have any community specific questions shoot me a PM.

v/r

COMEVIL

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby VQ Bubba » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:29 am

Your situation sounds like something better hashed out in (relative) privacy. I shifted from EP-3 NFO to IW late in life...send me a PM if you want to discuss further.

VR,

Sky-Pig

VQ Bubba
Experienced Member

Postby JMG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:53 pm

COMEVIL wrote:push through flight school so you avoid getting axed, as mention above. Then, if NFO duty truly isn't for you submit a redesignation package to IW

Take COMEVIL's advice and get your wings. Do not purposefully shoot yourself in the foot with a DOR. I did the IW lat transfer after the P-3 and it worked out.

JMG
Registered Member

Postby Venom0 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Sound advice from the P-3/EP-3 guys above. Back in '05, I was disqualified from ejection seat (bad car accident) at Meridian and was able to pick up Intel (though I was actually trying to get out of the Navy at that time). Some of my friends who actually failed out and one DOR'd all got the boot without any option to redesignate. Finish up training if you can but if it really isn't for you; best of luck trying to redesignate. Unfortunately now is not a great time for that since most IDC communities are downsizing but anything is possible.

Venom0
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:33 am

If you want to remain in the Navy a DOR isn't a good idea particularly now. With the Navy downsizing in many designators if you DOR you make it easy for them to send you home. Redesignation is a relatively easy process but is driven by quotas. Just because you want to want to leave a community doesn't mean your community will let you or that your gaining community will have the quotas. In any case, these are all decisions that you have to make for yourself. Just make sure you're educated before you do.

webmaster
Administrator

Return to Stupid Questions about Information Warfare