IWC Synch

Re: IWC Synch

Postby 20yearman » Tue Nov 22, 2016 2:25 am

I agree that the CW Community (and Navy writ large) is delinquent in providing operational planning training; Army JO's grow up understanding the planning process and are experts at it. The lack of Op Planning training is a major reason on why we haven't fully integrated within the other operational communities. With that said the CW Community does have 4-star Staff billets within the N39/J39 (and the N2/J2 as well) - 3 of my last 4 tours I've been in the N39 at both the tactical and Staff level.

20yearman
Registered Member

Postby yoshi » Tue Nov 22, 2016 3:52 am

From my experience, the N39 billets often have an N2 in front of them (N2/39) and wind up supporting the 1830 CAPT's efforts rather than having anything to do with planning (in the N3 and N5). On staffs (and particularly #'d Fleet staffs), we must have people in the N5 to add the IWC ingredients to the cake mix (the plan) at the very beginning. Also have to have people in the N3 to figure out how/ensure the cake will actually get served properly. It's the way business is done in the Navy/joint world and how planning value is created. IWC will eventually arrive to this conclusion/arrangement whether by its own moves or via outside imposition; it's just a matter of time. I'm actually quite positive looking toward the future as I see a number of things pointing to improvement.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 11:04 am

20yearman wrote:I agree that the CW Community (and Navy writ large) is delinquent in providing operational planning training; Army JO's grow up understanding the planning process and are experts at it. The lack of Op Planning training is a major reason on why we haven't fully integrated within the other operational communities. With that said the CW Community does have 4-star Staff billets within the N39/J39 (and the N2/J2 as well) - 3 of my last 4 tours I've been in the N39 at both the tactical and Staff level.

I'm currently sitting in the J39 on one of those 4 star staffs, and I can tell you that if people have their way here we will have reps in the J5 and J35 because the J39 integration (writ large) is broken. Not just a Navy issue, but a Joint issue. The future of cyber operations, if we're to actually get to where some people say we already are, is to understand that the use of the term "cyber objectives" within operational or strategic planning highlights a knowledge gap. Rather than apply that nebulous term, we need to reemphasize that there are commander's objectives supported by effects perpetuated through cyberspace (or not). Maybe splitting hairs, but our inability to effectively communicate the "possible" and manage expectations is causing confusion, and I'm watching people who need to be onboard if we're going to have an impact (O7+) start to write cyber off as alchemy that isn't realistic in dynamic real-world combat operations. It doesn't help that CYBERCOM isn't playing well with all the geographic combatant commands.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:31 pm

yoshi wrote:That's a fair point. Recoding would identify the "why" which would instill purpose and cause a better understanding for where we should better integrate communities inside IWC commands. We'd very likely get more out of such an approach than out of a "dis-associated Intel/IP/CWO/METOC tour". Might also make it an easier process to manage.

^^This.

Or, we really start to act like a community/corps. Collaborating and leveraging each pillar daily will obfuscate any need for cross-detailing.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby 20yearman » Wed Nov 23, 2016 1:14 am

All good discussion among CW/IW experts which only highlights that the IW community needs to work on aligning and integrating to validate the creation and contributions of the IW Community to other Communities.

20yearman
Registered Member

Postby COMEVIL » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:54 pm

20yearman wrote:All good discussion among CW/IW experts which only highlights that the IW community needs to work on aligning and integrating to validate the creation and contributions of the IW Community to other Communities.

Exactly! If we truly organized and operated as a community we wouldn't need cross-detailing to expose us to the other tribes.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Previous

Return to Navy Information Warfare