Joint Progression vs. STEM Masters?

Joint Progression vs. STEM Masters?

Postby Sum1 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:38 pm

Now that the STEM masters degree language has existed for a while, I was wondering if people have seen trends or been given guidance about prioritizing our limited off-duty time in pursuit of professional development. I'm specifically interested in STEM degrees vs. web-based JPME I. I was recently awarded a couple of years worth of joint credit, and the joint credit folks informed me that once I finish JPME I (JS7) they can award JS4 (full joint tour credit). I wasn't fortunate enough to go to NPS and knock all the wickets out at once, but have a MBA from when it was enough to just have a masters. I'd be continuing the UMUC Cybersecurity MS (3rd of 6 classes). If I went JPME I I'd be starting from the beginning. My in-zone look at O-4 happened in May, so we'll see what happens with that in a month or so (maybe longer, if the board results process on the bupers page is any indication).

Has anyone heard any general gouge or community trends/guidance on this stuff?

Sum1
Experienced Member

Re: Joint Progression vs. STEM Masters?

Postby Arkad » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:39 am

I'd recommend you do what you can finish prior to the next promotion gate. All things being equal and seeing what I have seen on O4 and O6 boards, I would choose JQO progression over a second masters.

Arkad
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:48 am

I agree that the shift in focus to technical masters has many of us in a Catch-22. I went to NPS when I was in a different community. It was good enough to get me into the IW community, but I fear that since it's not EE or Comp Sci, one day it won't be seen as technical enough.

*I'd gladly go to Monterey for another degree if the Navy sees it as a priority*

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:45 am

Arkad wrote:I'd recommend you do what you can finish prior to the next promotion gate. All things being equal and seeing what I have seen on O4 and O6 boards, I would choose JQO progression over a second masters.

Sir, thank you for the recommendation. Once I found out I was approved for a little under two years of joint credit while at the Combatant Command (with another year or so to apply for later) I realized I needed to reevaluate my education priorities, again.

O-4's hate me wrote:I agree that the shift in focus to technical masters has many of us in a Catch-22. I went to NPS when I was in a different community. It was good enough to get me into the IW community, but I fear that since it's not EE or Comp Sci, one day it won't be seen as technical enough.

*I'd gladly go to Monterey for another degree if the Navy sees it as a priority*

Well, it's not Monterey Part Deux, but I used the STEM masters language change for a "best qualified" officer as justification to request a tuition assistance waiver to receive TA for a second masters. It was approved, so this second masters has been almost free (I pay about $250 out of pocket per class). I followed the waiver procedure detailed on the TA website and included a note from the detailer (then CDR Smith) confirming the community changes. If you're interested in doing the same thing I can help, if you have questions.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:30 pm

I have decided to go the path of least resistance --- joint qualification. I was able to self-nominate for almost 2 years worth of points and attended USNWC completing JPME Phase 1. Not JQO yet, but showing progress.

STEM degree? If it didn't involve so much math... ;)

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby O-4's hate me » Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:32 am

Sum1 wrote:Well, it's not Monterey Part Deux, but I used the STEM masters language change for a "best qualified" officer as justification to request a tuition assistance waiver to receive TA for a second masters. It was approved, so this second masters has been almost free (I pay about $250 out of pocket per class). I followed the waiver procedure detailed on the TA website and included a note from the detailer (then CDR Smith) confirming the community changes. If you're interested in doing the same thing I can help, if you have questions.

Out of curiosity, what did you get TA to pay for, and where did you go?

O-4's hate me
Experienced Member

Postby LIVINGIW » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:03 pm

I would also encourage folks to look at the NDU Cyber leadership program. It is free and could be an alternative to TA based cyber security or other programs. More info available here: http://icollege.ndu.edu/Academics/Gradu ... p-Program/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Aug 14, 2016 2:28 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:I would also encourage folks to look at the NDU Cyber leadership program. It is free and could be an alternative to TA based cyber security or other programs. More info available here: http://icollege.ndu.edu/Academics/Gradu ... p-Program/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any math involved.... :D

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:43 am

O-4's hate me wrote:
Sum1 wrote:Well, it's not Monterey Part Deux, but I used the STEM masters language change for a "best qualified" officer as justification to request a tuition assistance waiver to receive TA for a second masters. It was approved, so this second masters has been almost free (I pay about $250 out of pocket per class). I followed the waiver procedure detailed on the TA website and included a note from the detailer (then CDR Smith) confirming the community changes. If you're interested in doing the same thing I can help, if you have questions.

Out of curiosity, what did you get TA to pay for, and where did you go?

UMUC's MS in Cybersecurity. TA has paid for 1/3 of the degree, thus far.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Has anyone attended the war college and spent the summer there? I understand that there are no classes, so I'm wondering what the school has you do. I doubt people are taking 45-60 days of leave in the summer.

Thanks ahead of time!

Sum1
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Navy Information Warfare