Language Training Opportunities

Language Training Opportunities

Postby webmaster » Tue May 13, 2008 7:19 pm

The Navy is rolling out language training on NKO. The capability is available to active duty sailors, reservists and Navy civilians at no cost! All that's required is an NKO account. [size=84]Examples of languages offered include Modern Standard Arabic, Iraqi Arabic, Pashto, Persian-Farsi, Dari, Chinese-Mandarin, Spanish and many others. [size=84]It also contains some cultural overviews.[/SIZE]

[size=84][size=84]To obtain the product, log in to NKO and search on the words
"Transparent Language CL-150." Navigate to the Transparent Language
logo and click on it for redirection to the software download center.
The content may be downloaded to and customized for use on personal
computers, PDAs and MP3 players. It cannot be downloaded and installed
on NMCI computers.

R 271614Z JUN 08
FM CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
TO NAVADMIN
INFO CNO WASHINGTON DC//N1//
UNCLAS //N01500//
NAVADMIN 178/08
MSGID/GENADMIN/CNO WASHINGTON DC/N1/JUN//
SUBJ/FREE ON-LINE FOREIGN LANGUAGE TRAINING AVAILABLE TO ALL HANDS// REF/A/MSG/CNO WASHINGTON DC/-/281723ZFEB08//
AMPN/REF A IS NAVADMIN 054/08, WHICH ANNOUNCED PROMULGATION OF NAVY'S LANGUAGE SKILLS, REGIONAL EXPERTISE AND CULTURAL AWARENESS (LREC) STRATEGY.//
RMKS/1. THIS NAVADMIN ANNOUNCES THE AVAILABILITY OF ON-LINE FOREIGN LANGUAGE TRAINING FOR ACTIVE DUTY SAILORS, RESERVISTS AND NAVY CIVILIANS. THE PRODUCT - CRITICAL LANGUAGE-150 (CL-150) BY TRANSPARENT LANGUAGE, INC IS POSTED ON NAVY KNOWLEDGE ON-LINE (NKO) AND OFFERED AT NO COST TO THE USER.
2. CONSISTENT WITH THE NAVY'S LREC STRATEGY ANNOUNCED IN REF A, TO ENHANCE FOREIGN LANGUAGE AND CULTURAL AWARENESS CAPABILITY AND CAPACITY, CL-150 SERVES THE TOTAL FORCE BY PROVIDING ROBUST TOOLS FOR THE ACQUISITION, SUSTAINMENT AND ENHANCEMENT OF FOREIGN LANGUAGE SKILLS. EXAMPLES OF LANGUAGES OFFERED INCLUDE MODERN STANDARD ARABIC, IRAQI ARABIC, PASHTO, PERSIAN-FARSI, DARI, CHINESE-MANDARIN, SPANISH AND OTHERS. THE CAPABILITY WILL FACILITATE BOTH INDIVIDUAL AND TEAM TRAINING. IT ALSO CONTAINS SOME CULTURAL OVERVIEWS.
3. TO OBTAIN THE PRODUCT, LOG IN TO NKO AND CLICK ON THE "TRANSPARENT LANGUAGE" LINK LOCATED IN THE "PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT" BLOCK ON THE OPENING PAGE. THIS WILL REDIRECT YOU TO THE SOFTWARE DOWNLOAD CENTER AT THE TRANSPARENT LANGUAGE WEB SITE. THE CONTENT MAY BE DOWNLOADED TO AND CUSTOMIZED FOR USE ON PERSONAL COMPUTERS, PDAS AND MP3 PLAYERS. IT CANNOT BE DOWNLOADED AND INSTALLED ON NMCI COMPUTERS.
4. I STRONGLY ENCOURAGE ALL HANDS TO TAKE MAXIMUM ADVANTAGE OF THIS EXCEPTIONAL OPPORTUNITY FOR THEIR PROFESSIONAL AND PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT.
5. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CONTACT THE CENTER FOR INFORMATION DOMINANCE (CID) LANGUAGE, REGIONAL EXPERTISE AND CULTURE DIRECTORATE (CLREC) BY EMAIL CLREC(AT)NAVY.MIL OR BY PHONE AT (850)452-6736/DSN 922.
6. RELEASED BY VADM M. E. FERGUSON III, N1.//[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

webmaster
Administrator

Postby Snake » Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:22 pm

Does the Navy offer any licenses for Rosetta Stone? When I was in the Air Force it was pretty easy to get a license depending on the language.

(don't tell anyone, but my Portuguese license is still active with them... just got renewed again through Oct 2009, even though I've been out for quite a while...)

Snake
Registered Member

Postby Sum1 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 9:21 am

I used to have that, but was told that the Navy (or dod?) had all their licenses pulled due to lack of funding and wouldn't be renewing it. I was a little perturbed because Rosetta Stone was probably the best computer-based language training I've seen. Everything else is ridiculously ineffective (and Rosetta Stone wasn't THAT great either, but it was better than the rest).

As a graduate of DLI I don't know how anyone could really truly acquire significant foreign language skills through online means. Language is inherently social, and questions are going to come up that aren't answered.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby webmaster » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:48 pm

Rosetta Stone is available on MarineNet. URL is www.marinenet.usmc.mil. All services have access. Just go on and create an account.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby mrsaturn » Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:42 am

webmaster wrote:Rosetta Stone is available on MarineNet. URL is www.marinenet.usmc.mil. All services have access. Just go on and create an account.

I find in odd that Rossetta Pashto is not on there.

That being said GREAT FIND!

mrsaturn
Experienced Member

Postby hoa_ghost » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:55 am

Actually I did register at Marinenet, but Rosetta Stone is available ONLY for USMC personnel -- NOT the other services. I'm just curious as to why the Navy is adamant in not persuing Rosetta Stone.

Anyone else have any idea how I can get a subscription to Rosetta Stone without paying for it? I mean, when every other service member gets it free, why do we sailors need to pay?

hoa_ghost
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:11 am

hoa_ghost wrote:Actually I did register at Marinenet, but Rosetta Stone is available ONLY for USMC personnel -- NOT the other services. I'm just curious as to why the Navy is adamant in not persuing Rosetta Stone.

Anyone else have any idea how I can get a subscription to Rosetta Stone without paying for it? I mean, when every other service member gets it free, why do we sailors need to pay?

Not true since I have access. Make sure they have your access set properly

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Twidget » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:42 am

webmaster wrote:Not true since I have access. Make sure they have your access set properly

I just tried it, and here's what I got:
MarineNet wrote:[color="Red"]Status requirement not met: Rosetta Stone language courses are currently restricted to MarineNet users that have a Service Status of Active or Reserve. Status requirement not met: Rosetta Stone language courses are currently restricted to MarineNet users with the branch of Marine Corps.[/color]

Maybe they just think you're an active duty Marine? Have you checked your status?

Brought to you by the Paranoia Protection Counsel..."We're watching you 24/7 to make sure you're not being followed."
Twidget

Postby webmaster » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:48 pm

Twidget wrote:I just tried it, and here's what I got:

Maybe they just think you're an active duty Marine? Have you checked your status?

Yep. That must be a new thing. Wasn't the case last month

Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby enavypa » Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:39 pm

A good program that the DOD offers is through:
https://www.softsonline.org/

which is the Special Operations Forces Teletraining System. You have an actual live class with an instructor via a webcam and headset. Obviously the first priority is SPECOPS personnel, but after that they take active duty first come first serve. I'm currently taking a course and it has been a great experience.

enavypa
Registered Member

Next

Return to Navy Information Warfare