VADM Rogers to become DIRNSA

VADM Rogers to become DIRNSA

Postby das » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:50 pm

As expected (and assuming nothing changes between now and then), the President has signed off on the nomination of VADM Rogers as DIRNSA/CHCSS, and Commander, USCYBERCOM:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

das
Experienced Member

Re: VADM Rogers to become DIRNSA

Postby LIVINGIW » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:06 pm

Good news for 1810 community. First Admiral Filipowski gets a new job and now this. Very interested to see who goes in as C10F.... Or fleets up....

LIVINGIW
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:09 pm

LIVINGIW wrote:Good news for 1810 community. First Admiral Filipowski gets a new job and now this. Very interested to see who goes in as C10F.... Or fleets up....

RADM Tighe was assigned as DCOM, C10F/FCC. Looks like she will be next...

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:45 am

COMEVIL wrote:
LIVINGIW wrote:Good news for 1810 community. First Admiral Filipowski gets a new job and now this. Very interested to see who goes in as C10F.... Or fleets up....

She is a baby two star. And while not impossible, that would be quick to three stars. The interesting bet is if it is a URL flag.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:01 pm

Wolfpack wrote:
COMEVIL wrote:

She is a baby two star. And while not impossible, that would be quick to three stars. The interesting bet is if it is a URL flag.

Yes, but 3 star jobs are nominations to congress and can be accomplished without any TIG requirements. There have been officers in the past that went directly from 1 star to 3 star. Add the fact that she was assigned the DCOM C10F/FCC job, one that didn't previously exist to my knowledge, and it looks like things are aligning nicely for her.

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:27 pm

FCC/C10F DCOM existed prior to Tighe, and was held by a one star. no reason to assume she would need a third star to fleet up - 4th fleet Commander is a two star. I'm sure VADM Rogers' input is the chief considerations surrounding his replacement, as C10F/FCC works for CYBERCOM. Definitely not worried about lining up our commuinity with CYBERCOM/DIRNSA... ...for as long as he is there. However, when he eventually leaves DIRNSA/CYBERCOM, I think there could be potential for problems, if not sooner. It depends on our ability to insulate the community from changing priorities/operations and find a way to sustain the community without having to use operations as a trump card (this is my opinion). Being identified with an opertional command is a great winfall initially, but things change quickly and there are several examples of obsoleted operations which were once relevant and powerful, but are not now. Right now, we have our hands full with today and next year's numbers; longer term strategy at every level seems less clear (new service? new community? corps leadership? CYBERCOM to be a unified command?). Its an impossible job - one which requries more time and effort than any one is able to give. It will be interesting to observe where our community/corps interests will be vested, where our center of gravity will be.

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby das » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:33 pm

One note to add on to what yoshi said...as the directive to reduce the number/rank of Flags across the IDC and the Navy is implemented, it's possible that positions which were previously an X-star billet could now be X-1. One recent example of this is RDML Filipowski moving into RADM Leigher's N2/N6F slot, and not adding a star (at least not at present). That said, RADM Tighe could certainly add a third star irrespective of TIR if FCC/C10F is to remain a 3-star billet. Or, it could become a 2-star billet with the deputy being a 1-star. Obviously I know nothing beyond assumptions...

das
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:23 pm

das wrote:One note to add on to what yoshi said...as the directive to reduce the number/rank of Flags across the IDC and the Navy is implemented, it's possible that positions which were previously an X-star billet could now be X-1. One recent example of this is RDML Filipowski moving into RADM Leigher's N2/N6F slot, and not adding a star (at least not at present). That said, RADM Tighe could certainly add a third star irrespective of TIR if FCC/C10F is to remain a 3-star billet. Or, it could become a 2-star billet with the deputy being a 1-star. Obviously I know nothing beyond assumptions...

Correct, there is no time in grade requirement from 2 to 3 star, however, you do have to be a two sart (at least selected) before you can get three.

I am not saying she will not get the jog or even a third star. I also would not worry about how many flag billets the IDC has - there are actually more IDC flags than there are IDC flag slots. Flag assignments are nothing like O6 and below. But, we (IDC) want a three star and we want that three star to be 10th fleet or N2N6. It is good for the IDC. At C10F, it gets the flag a seat at the table with the others and they get to participate in the 3/4 star conference. 2 stars get to check coats. It is good for the IDC because they can interact with the other TYCOMs as a peer in rank. The IDC will not get what it needs as a community without a three star advocate. And while I admire and respect Card and Branch, they are not IDC and we need that face of the IDC wearing three stars. It is politics, but it matters.

A non-IDC getting a third star and 10th Flt would not be good. Having the IDC operational commander (C10F) and the head of the corps (N2N6) being non-IDC seriously reduces our influence and ability as a Navy Corps.

AS for Filipowski going to F, that is awesome, means he is in serious contention for 2 starts (yea) and he is just an awesome guy.

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:03 pm

I think VADM Branch's billet is the most important for the IDC.

Non-IDC Flag in C10F/FCC wouldn't change much of anything, so long as VADM Rogers is in charge or DIRNSA/CYBERCOM (even #d Fleet commanders have to do what they are told:-)). Interaction between Fleet TYCOMs and those folks doing TYCOM functions at FCC/C10F is nowhere near the interaction of the Fleet TYCOMs with each other, and I think that relationship will move to new ID TYCOm anyway. I think we are good at C10F/FCC as long as there is an IP or cryppie at C10/FCC in either the deputy or COM billet. However, the danger of a non-IDC Flag in C10F/FCC long term (after VADM Rogers, with another service in CYBERCOM), causes me to lean toward vesting community interests in an administrative commandrather than an operational command.

OPNAV billet, while I am happy for RDML Filipowski, still confuses me. d-COM or COM at new TYCOM seems more important to me (delivering capability to Fleet and working directly with FCC/C10F to integrate national and Navy cyber efforts to the Fleet - what it means to them), than picking the next program we should pay for (i know, its more complicated than that and DC presence is important).

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby Schlag » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:04 am

Perhaps I'm just naive but N2/N6 seems removed from the operational picture when compared against FCC/C10F. The fact that an IDC is in command of an operational command (FCC/C10F) is HUGE for our community and it NEEDS to remain that way, particularly since they report to COMUSCYBERCOM. Sure things will work out just swimmingly right now because Admiral Rogers will be CYBERCOM but a construct needs to survive under all circumstances, not just the ideal.

TYCOMS are important, but even for the URL those are typically terminal tours. Also, the fact that our TYCOM works for FLTFORCES vice FCC/C10F makes things awkward. N2/N6 also seems more like a staff function. I'm sure they do important stuff but I don't think a nice desk at the Pentagon is comparable to operationalizing our community which is the point of the IDC.

D/COM of C10F is downgraded to O-6 effective FY16. Previous D/COM (RDML Webber) was a 1-star. Now you have RADM Tighe serving as a 2-star in a 1-star post that's about to be downgraded? Either someone is trying to make her terminal (doubtful) or someone is trying to expedite her eventual assumption of command (more likely).

Schlag
Experienced Member

Next

Return to Navy Information Warfare