VADM Rogers to become DIRNSA

Re: VADM Rogers to become DIRNSA

Postby Schlag » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:09 am

das wrote:...it's possible that positions which were previously an X-star billet could now be X-1. One recent example of this is RDML Filipowski moving into RADM Leigher's N2/N6F slot, and not adding a star (at least not at present).

Billet downgrades aren't occurring until FY15 (if memory serves). I know that several aren't occurring until even FY16. I also don't think N2/N6F was on the chopping block (but I might be wrong on that one, haven't seen that brief in a while).

If memory serves, the 2-star board for FY15 had adjourned (but I might be making that up). Maybe someone knows something that isn't public knowledge yet (possible).

Or it could be the extra push he needs to make 2-star... if memory serves, President of NPS was a 2-star position (before it transitioned to civ) and that was filled by then RDML Tighe for a long while. Seems like that was enough to push her over the top, above even RDML Filipowski who has more time in service over her (unsure who was senior at the time).

Schlag
Experienced Member

Postby yoshi » Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:39 pm

As resource sponsor (money), OPNAV determines what the rest of us deal with. But, "OPNAV" has recently sponsored community/corps level requirements, as well, at least for the IDC (it is where the IDC head is located). Also, some latitude comes with handling the money. There is much distance between OPNAV and C10F/FCC operations, even more between OPNAV and afloat operations. But, that doesn't decrease the value/effectiveness of the Flag billets there. It behooves Fleets to provide requirements to OPNAV and keep OPNAV aware of what is important. For healthy IDC operations, communities need to be well poised and organized at Fleet staffs to effectively communicate requirements to OPNAV. Adjudicating which IDC requirements (programs, courses, systems) will be satisfied is a big job and has ramifications for all IDC capabilities lasting beyond today's operations. (In my view, FCC/C10F has been very effective at OPNAV; the other fleets (CPF/USFF) have not (for a number of reasons - capacity, organization, etc).

I view command of FCC/C10F as a must for the IDC corps, not for the community. I agree - whatever community/corps construct we create - and it does seem in mid-creation vice firmed up - must be able to survive future cyber and/or C2 COAs, such as: CYBERCOM headed by another service, CYBERCOM becoming UCC, DOD creating cyber as a separate service, to name a few. I think that's the value of the TYCOM - permanent Navy process and structure. If TYCOMs are terminal at two stars (i don't agree, as VADM Branch used to be AIRLANT, a follow TYCOM, and a few TYCOMs are 3 stars already), its ok. That is commensurate with our flag billets.

Operationalizing our community is already done. Running an operational command is a huge statement for the Commander who has the responsibility. However, operational commands fight with what and who they have today. The ability to improve the what and who we fight with tomorrow (community/corps level business) is OPNAV, USFFC/CPF, and TYCOM generated (administrative). The exception is FCC/C10F which determines the what and who, as we don't have a TYCOM for IW, IP, and intel communities. It will be interesting to see how ID TYCOM fits in (I'm curious about the effect to the IDC if IP and METOC are sourced from ID TYCOM, while INTEL and IW efforts are sourced differently). ID TYCOM seems awkward, but none of the other TYCOMs work for anyone but CPF/USFFC (administrative commands). USFFC/CPF should provide C10F resources (MTE) via ID TYCOM, just like they do for the other operational commanders (6th, Fleet, 7th Fleet, etc) via the other TYCOMs. We'll see if this happens from existing processes. The usual TYCOM construct feels awkward because we (IDC minus METOC) aren't accustomed to it and don't use it today. We are still maturing and haven't either 1) figured out the Navy TYCOM process, or 2) successfully built a process which works for both the traditional and cyber fleets. We've been trying to get IDC functions right since ~2005; NSGA, NNWC, NCF, FCC/C10, now ID TYCOM. Sometimes I think we should stop the stupidity and hard split national money from Navy money to make things easier: ID TYCOM handle Navy mission MTE; national mission MTE handled elsewhere (ONI, FCC/C10F). Split out the NIOCs with national and Navy missions into two separate commands, align MTE support for those commands appropriately, and enjoy the clarity/simplicity. But, it is easier to be bound to the interests of the way things are done, as opposed to what we should be doing. And now I'm both overly verbose AND way off topic...

yoshi
Experienced Member

Postby das » Thu Jan 30, 2014 11:02 pm

Another story, but a new one that wasn't one of the many referencing the original WaPo article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/31/world ... ector.html

das
Experienced Member

Postby COMEVIL » Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:57 am

And the fourth star...

Jan 30, 14 PN1386 Navy
The following named officer for appointment in the United States Navy
to the grade indicated while assigned to a position of importance and
responsibility under title 10, U.S.C., section 601:
Vice Adm. Michael S. Rogers, to be Admiral

COMEVIL
Experienced Member

Postby Wolfpack » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:40 am

COMEVIL wrote:And the fourth star...

Jan 30, 14 PN1386 Navy
The following named officer for appointment in the United States Navy
to the grade indicated while assigned to a position of importance and
responsibility under title 10, U.S.C., section 601:
Vice Adm. Michael S. Rogers, to be Admiral

sweet

Wolfpack
Experienced Member

Postby das » Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:36 am

Another profile by Ellen Nakashima in WaPo:

NSA nominee Michael S. Rogers has made fans during a steady rise to the top

Vice Adm. Michael S. Rogers has been groomed for this moment.

Nominated by President Obama to become the next director of the National Security Agency and head of the military’s cyberwarfare command, Rogers was talent-scouted over the past several years by senior military and intelligence officials, who saw a leader in the personable officer.

“He was the best there was, and he was going to lead us into the cyberfuture,” said retired Adm. Gary Roughead, who in 2011 picked Rogers to head Fleet Cyber Command, the Navy’s cyber organization, which was seen as a steppingstone.

Rogers’s steady rise reflected a consensus among senior officials that the Navy cryptologist and intelligence officer had the temperament and strategic vision to confront the challenges of carrying forward a spy agency founded in 1952 and a cyber command launched in 2010 for a new form of warfare.

Read more:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/nat ... story.html

Last edited by das on Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
das
Experienced Member

Postby das » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:08 pm

...and another profile:

The Man Who Would Be King of Cyber

His eyes are set deep, shrouded in heavy bags that betray the sleepless nights he’s spent at his desk without complaint, according to those who have worked with him. He likes to quote movies, a tic that’s common among Navy officers, and has a penchant for stuffing conversations with film references and an easy laugh, but is driven by what he views as a mission to advance the operational use of cyber.

Vice Adm. Michael Rogers is slated to be the most powerful man in the world, at least as far as the cyber domain is concerned, in March when he talks the reins from Gen. Keith Alexander and becomes the man in charge at the National Security Agency (NSA) and US Cyber Command (CYBERCOM). The dual-hatted job rules both the intelligence and military world of cyber, responsible for protecting critical national security interests from the constant barrage of attacks and incursions emanating from all over the world (but mostly China), and for attacking when the President sees fit. The role is also thoroughly under the microscope of Congress following disclosures by Edward Snowden about how and when the US intelligence community tracks communications.

Read more:

http://blogs.defensenews.com/intercepts ... -of-cyber/

das
Experienced Member

Postby ga10 » Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:33 am

The VCNO gave a talk today at NPS and announced that RADM Tighe would be nominated today for her third star and command of 10th Fleet.

ga10
Registered Member

Previous

Return to Navy Information Warfare