No votes
3923 Strike Planning
14%
3924 OPINTEL
No votes

Total votes : 7

IS RATE NEC'S

Postby lx hemi » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:52 pm

It's my understanding that all IS's will obtain an NEC via C school once completed A school. What's yours? How did you come to the decision to pick your NEC? What are the pro's and con's. If you could switch would you, and to what?

lx hemi
Registered Member

Postby lx hemi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:50 pm

Wow. no one huh? :confused:

lx hemi
Registered Member

Postby webmaster » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:26 am

lx hemi wrote:Wow. no one huh? :confused:

I'm not sure we have too many folks that can coment quite yet.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby 3912DCO » Sun Aug 08, 2010 9:51 pm

lx hemi wrote:It's my understanding that all IS's will obtain an NEC via C school once completed A school. What's yours? How did you come to the decision to pick your NEC? What are the pro's and con's. If you could switch would you, and to what?

That is correct, all IS's need an NEC. The last I heard, 3912 was a pre-req for 3913.

I am a 3912. I chose this NEC because I wanted to be part of the operations in Iraq and Afghanistan at the tip of the spear. I have now done that in both countries. This is a great NEC if you are looking to be part of the "Ground" Navy - NSW or Navy Expeditionary Combat Command. When I completed the NEC, the course had a strong emphasis on physical preparation for deploying with one of these types of units. It was also very academically challenging.

On the active side, it is very difficult/competitive to get selected to attend Ground School. On the reserve-side it is almost impossible (about 10-15% of all 3912's are reservists) to get this NEC because you have to be in a ground billet in order to attend. One of the easiest ways to do that is agree to deploy with the Seabees. They try to send all of their IS's through Ground School and then you will deploy with them for six-months. All-in-all, not a terrible gig.

I would not change my choice, as it has been everything that I hoped it would be. Getting the NEC was challenging but people interested in pursuing the NEC are typically hard-chargers and I was excited to be in such competitve company.

3912DCO
Registered Member

Postby lx hemi » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:34 pm

good info. thanks. I got picked up for IS in June and they wanted me to report to school 30 days after i got my orders. With such a short reporting date my command wouldn't let me go and called the detailer to push me out 2 months. So I report next month to A school. I'm ready and eager to get into the rate. I was hoping to be assigned to a Specwarcom. How do the NEC get distributed among the A school grads? I assume there's some sort of aptitude test to determine which NEC one gets?

lx hemi
Registered Member

Postby ksm2002 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 7:54 pm

I crossrated almost 4 years ago now and chose to go 3910 due to the fact that I had prior experience doing evaluations on submarine imagery packages as a young PH. I found the school pretty good, but learned more about the trade while I was assigned to USAFRICOM and worked side by side with analysts form NGA. I'm currently on deployment in Djibouti, and will be going 3924 when I PCS to my next command due to a shortage of 3910 sea billets out there.

ksm2002
Registered Member

Return to Intelligence