Forum Software Upgrade/Replacement in the Days Ahead

Forum Software Upgrade/Replacement in the Days Ahead

Postby phrogpilot73 » Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:29 pm

If anyone attempted to log on to InformationWarriors on Sunday (3/31/13) and encountered some problems, or was notified that the board was down, that was me tinkering behind the scenes.

We are currently preparing to transition from vBulletin to phpBB. While vBulletin is a staple in the forum world, once they rolled out vBulletin 4.0 (which in our opinion is not as reliable and stable as vBulletin 3.8.5 which we are currently running) they slowly started cutting off support. We've looked at other options, and because I'm a huge proponent of the GPL and Open Source software, we've likely selected phpBB as our new software to use.

There might be some growing pains, and I'm trying to make it as seamless a transition as possible to our users... I already have it installed on the same domain for testing (on my end) as well as I'm working on setting it up on my desktop at home to convert the vBulletin database (and continue to test).

So, in advance - thank you for your patience, and expect that sometime in the next couple of weeks you'll log in and the software will have a slightly different look... However, most of the features will remain the same - and we'll be installing Tapatalk, flashchat, and paypal donation features as soon as we get the base board up and running.

"Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?
Just how in the world do you think it got to be this old?"
- Anonymous
phrogpilot73
Administrator

Return to Forum FAQ & Help