Telling the truth is overrated

BEWARE, UNMODERATED FORUM: This is the catch all forum for any discussion the members of this site want to discuss. Only supermoderators and admins have any oversight of this forum.

Telling the truth is overrated

Postby webmaster » Wed May 21, 2008 12:00 am

Army recruiter on hidden camera...yikes
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BFNKzmqHjs&NR=1

webmaster
Administrator

Postby phrogpilot73 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:25 am

The only problem I have with it is that she tells him to lie to the doctor, and that he can get out of the Army Reserves if he makes a ton of money. The rest of it is just a sugar coated version of the truth.

"Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?
Just how in the world do you think it got to be this old?"
- Anonymous
phrogpilot73
Administrator

Postby webmaster » Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:18 pm

Those were the parts I had issue with as well

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way in which its animals are treated.

I hold that the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man."
Mahatma Gandhi
webmaster
Administrator

Postby Snake » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:52 pm

Of course you can get out of the reserves if you make a ton of money... after you serve your commitment.

Snake
Registered Member

Postby phrogpilot73 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:55 pm

Snake wrote:Of course you can get out of the reserves if you make a ton of money... after you serve your commitment.

Well there is the urban legend that if you make more than the CO, you can get out. Don't know if it's true - and since I've never made close to the CO, there was no reason for me to research it.

"Lady, you want me to answer you if this old airplane is safe to fly?
Just how in the world do you think it got to be this old?"
- Anonymous
phrogpilot73
Administrator

Postby Sum1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:14 pm

I don't know where the bar is set, but I had a friend who worked with a CTN who basically had a side-job where him and his wife designed and ran an online webcam business. He got into details when he told me the story, but basically this guy's wife was Russian, so they put ads in Russian newspapers to recruit cute Russian women to sit in front of webcams and chat it up. Apparently they had very stricts rules on what they could and couldn't do, etc, etc.

Anyway, it proved to be profitable enough that the Navy tried to discharge him. He had to jump through hoops just to stay in as he actually liked his Navy job.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Sparkplug » Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:53 pm

Sum1 wrote:I don't know where the bar is set, but I had a friend who worked with a CTN who basically had a side-job where him and his wife designed and ran an online webcam business. He got into details when he told me the story, but basically this guy's wife was Russian, so they put ads in Russian newspapers to recruit cute Russian women to sit in front of webcams and chat it up. Apparently they had very stricts rules on what they could and couldn't do, etc, etc.

Anyway, it proved to be profitable enough that the Navy tried to discharge him. He had to jump through hoops just to stay in as he actually liked his Navy job.

That may have had more to do with the fact that his wife was Russian and they had a recurring business relationship with foreign nationals rather than how much money he was making. Folks tend to sugar coat the truth and, as a former SSO, that circumstance raises huge red flags with me.

Sparkplug
Experienced Member

Postby Sum1 » Sun Jun 29, 2008 8:35 pm

Apparently he was very open with his business dealings from the very beginning... and regardless, the SSO could take his clearance, but they wouldn't discharge him from the Navy for something like that. He would have been force-converted or something similiar.

Sum1
Experienced Member

Postby Sparkplug » Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:57 am

Sum1 wrote:Apparently he was very open with his business dealings from the very beginning... and regardless, the SSO could take his clearance, but they wouldn't discharge him from the Navy for something like that. He would have been force-converted or something similiar.

Not so sure that was the case, but I can tell you that I have definitely heard the rumor about the income from my sailors, but I have yet to find any documentation that supports it. BTW, I work manpower, so I spend a fair amount of time researching issues like this. There were most likely some other factors at play. We don't let folks out of their commitments to play in the NFL or compete in the Olympics, so I can't imagine that we would release someone because they made some money. Anyway, if you have some concrete documentation that supports letting folks out because they make too much, I would love to hear about it.

Sparkplug
Experienced Member

Postby TarHeel98 » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:29 am

It's always possible that someone could get BIOTSed (separated for best interests of the service), but you do have to go pretty high up the food chain for it to get approved.

TarHeel98

Return to War Zone